[oodisc] Question about wordbooks and settings for Russian

Mikhail Ramendik mr на ramendik.ru
Сб Июл 5 11:47:23 MSD 2003

Hello!

Christian Markgraf wrote:

> On http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html and
> http://de.openoffice.org/spellcheck/about-spellcheck-detail.html are 3
> Russian wordbooks linked: ru_RU.zip, ru_RU_ie.zip and ru_RU_yo.zip.
>
> I wonder about the additional ru_RU_io.zip and ru_RU_0.zip on the
> Server.

Well, this is somewhat of a flamewar topic. The "io" is a Russian letter
that marks a specific sound but is often replaced by another letter.
Some say it is needed, some say it is not.

The ru_RU dictionary is, as far as I remember, the first dictionary
prepared for OpenOffice.org. It handles word forms very well, but does
not contain the words spelled with an "io".

The ru_RU_ie and ru_RU_io dictionaries are a later addition from a
different source. They, unfortunately, have problems with some word
forms (at least in my personal experience). The ru_RU_io contains the
words with an "io" - but not the variants without an "io".

> So my question, which spelling wordbooks fit to the need of native
> Russian speakers?
>
> This is the result of a first tip, is this OK?
>
> [...]
> DICT ru RU ru_RU
> DICT ru RU ru_RU_io
> HYPH ru RU hyph_ru
> [...]

Yes. I actually think this is the best way to handle it in a generic
package. This will allow practically all valid word forms, and allow
words that can have an "io" to be written both with and without it.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik