[oodisc] UK Government Solicits Advice On Open Source

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy на sam-solutions.net
Вт Янв 1 16:53:09 MSK 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:33:03PM +0300, Aleksey Novodvorsky wrote:
> Я еще не читал внимательно, но, кажется, документы очень любопытны.
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/01/01/013253.shtml
Один комментарий стоит отметить:
 Blair's Love affair with Microsoft (Score:1)
 by dunstan (dvavasour@@@iee...org) on Tuesday January 01, @07:04AM (#2770051)
 (User #97493 Info | http://slashdot.org/)

 Guys, reality check here. This is a consultation document written by a
 civil servant. At the same time we have Tony Blair schmoozing with Bill
 Gates in order to look good.  Hell, the National Health Service recently
 announced a huge (hundred of millions IIRC) deal with Microsoft for a
 "unified buying scheme", and one of the sweeteners was that Gates would
 come and address a conference on IT in the NHS. You have to remember that
 the UK government is motivated largely by vanity, and that a lot of
 excellent civil servants have been sidelined because they upset that
 vanity.

 During the last election campaign Blair paid a visit to Gates, who was in
 the UK promoting XP. It was very hard to see who was exploiting who for
 their own purposes.

 Although this is a significant bit of consultation from within the
 government's paid service, there are much weightier reasons why we might
 end up with a government here which embraces free software - like Gates
 forgetting Blair's birthday or something. While govenment agencies
 require submissions to be in "industry standard" formats (i.e. Word or
 Excel documents) we've got an awfully long way to go.

 Obligatory disclaimer - I'm a British Conservative, which influences my
 view on Blair's Britain a smidge.

 Dunstan
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy