[oodisc] Question about wordbooks and settings for Russian

Christian Markgraf chris на markgraf-net.de
Сб Июл 5 13:10:37 MSD 2003

HiMikhail ,

Am Samstag, 5. Juli 2003 09:47 schrieb Mikhail Ramendik:
> Hello!
>
> Christian Markgraf wrote:
> > On http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html
> > and
> > http://de.openoffice.org/spellcheck/about-spellcheck-detail.html
> > are 3 Russian wordbooks linked: ru_RU.zip, ru_RU_ie.zip and
> > ru_RU_yo.zip.
> >
> > I wonder about the additional ru_RU_io.zip and ru_RU_0.zip on the
> > Server.
>
> Well, this is somewhat of a flamewar topic. The "io" is a Russian
> letter that marks a specific sound but is often replaced by another
> letter. Some say it is needed, some say it is not.

Sorry, I don't want to start a flamewar, I didn't know about it :-(

> The ru_RU dictionary is, as far as I remember, the first dictionary
> prepared for OpenOffice.org. It handles word forms very well, but
> does not contain the words spelled with an "io".
>
> The ru_RU_ie and ru_RU_io dictionaries are a later addition from a
> different source. They, unfortunately, have problems with some word
> forms (at least in my personal experience). The ru_RU_io contains the
> words with an "io" - but not the variants without an "io".

I think, I start to understand.

> > So my question, which spelling wordbooks fit to the need of native
> > Russian speakers?
> >
> > This is the result of a first tip, is this OK?
> >
> > [...]
> > DICT ru RU ru_RU
> > DICT ru RU ru_RU_io
> > HYPH ru RU hyph_ru
> > [...]
>
> Yes. I actually think this is the best way to handle it in a generic
> package. This will allow practically all valid word forms, and allow
> words that can have an "io" to be written both with and without it.

Maybe (not to start a flamewar) the question should be, which wordbooks
"could" be useful. They all can be added and commented in the
dictionary.lst. Then everybody can optimise it for his personal needs.

Regards
Chris