[oodisc] Fw: [l10n-dev] Hungarian translation "party", questions

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy на sam-solutions.net
Ср Фев 6 13:39:47 MSK 2002

----- Forwarded message from Noll Janos <johnzero-ooffice на johnzero.hu> -----

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:39:24 +0100 (CET)
From: Noll Janos <johnzero-ooffice на johnzero.hu>
To: dev на l10n.openoffice.org
Cc: dieter.loeschky на germany.sun.com
Subject: [l10n-dev] Hungarian translation "party", questions
Mailing-List: contact dev-help на l10n.openoffice.org; run by ezmlm

Hy!

 Maybe this is a bit offtopic, but I think you'd all be somewhat
interested...

 Several people in Hungary have had enough of not having a free, open
translation of the OpenOffice suite. (We have seen a now about 20% free
translation, which began 8 months ago, is being coordinated partly by
Magosanyi Arpad, who is marked as the Hungarian contact person on the OO
website. This project is independent of him.)

Let's start with the "story" part:

 We (3 people) have decided, that we'll do the translation from null, in
just 3 days!

 Yes, that's right, 3 days, from the 1st of February to the 4th February.
 We got a machine-equipped room from the Technical University of
Budapest, several sponsors took care of the food (mosly pizza) and drink
(soft drinks, cola).

 The project began on last friday afternoon, and lasted until monday
morning, and was mostly non-stop. About 12-16 people were in the project
room at a time, and aboul a 100 people collaborated over the net, using
our special PHP/CGI script. We translated the approximately 21000 strings,
that the localize tool had extracted, in about 36 hours, then we proceeded
to building, testing and correcting the result.

 We didn't translate the help (and the "long" tooltips), and didn't
localize the "files" (autotext templates, etc.), but I think even without
these, this is a pretty good result.

 We have a webpage written in Hungarian language on http://office.fsf.hu
 I don't think this interests you, and some photos:
 http://office.fsf.hu/work/photos/

 We have appeared in several newsites here, and also had an appearance in
the public radio.

And the question:

 How can we contribute the translation back to the CVS, to Openoffice.org?

 We're making sure that all "significant" contributors sign the
Sun-agreement, and when we get those together, we will be faxing it or
mailing it to the specified address.

 What more do we need to do? Where will we need to put it, who will we
need to send the language-text file?

| Noll Janos <johnzero на johnzero.hu> | http://www.johnzero.hu |
| "Expect the unexpected!"    |   ICQ# 4547866   |  Be free! |